T.C. Johnston, LL.M.
T.C. Johnston earned his Juris Doctor degree at Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego, California. He graduated Magna Cum Laude in 1996 and was admitted to the California Bar in June, 1997. Johnston earned a Master of Laws (LL.M.) with concentrations in business and corporate law from University of San Diego in 1999.
Over the years, Johnston has developed a comprehensive understanding of California civil procedure through extensive law and motion practice. He has successfully brought unique and original claims and motions in the zealous advocacy of his clients' rights.
He has spearheaded cases against major corporations involving employment law and lemon law/consumer law, including a federal class action suit involving mass layoffs of employees of a major dot-com crash victim. He has obtained injunctions against parties in cases involving intellectual property disputes. He has served as intellectual property counsel for the estate of a prominent musician, and represented a wide variety of online businesses large and small. He continues to provide legal counsel for numerous Internet startups and established businesses.
Mr. Johnston’s practice emphasises issues related to business law, technology, and intellectual property associated with Internet business and advertising, including IP, IT, SEO, PPC, CPC, CPA, CTR, ROI, etc.
Areas of Practice and Experience
- Prosecution and defense of trademark and copyright infringement cases, including cybersquatting and typosquatting
- Prosecution of unique cases involving click fraud and pay-per-click, and cost-per-click (PPC & CPC) advertising
- Prosecution and defense of cases involving misappropriation of trade secrets
- Prosecution and defense of copyright infringement cases
- Actions involving unfair business practices under the Unfair Competition Law (CA Bus & Prof sec. 17200)
- Prosecution and defense of issues regarding breach of contract, and other business related litigation
- Drafting and review of contracts relating to business relationships
Corporations and LLCs
- Creation of corporations and LLCs for various clients, and counsel regarding same
- Drafting of documentation related to the operations of said legal entities
- Prosecution and defense of actions involving said legal entities
- Prosecution of cases against insurance companies for bad faith refusal to pay benefits owed
- Prosecution of cases against insurance companies for demanding reimbursement of benefits to which they were not entitled
- Prosecution of cases against employers for wrongful termination in violation of public policy
- Prosecution of cases against large corporations for claims of disability discrimination
- Prosecution of a federal class action suit for the mass layoff of employees of a dot-com without the notice required by law
- Prosecution of cases under California's "Lemon Law" regarding faulty and dangerous products ranging from vehicles to flooring materials
- Prosecution of cases under California's Consumers Legal Remedies Act regarding fraudulent representations, etc.
- Prosecution and defense of litigation and arbitrations between contractors and property owners; both on behalf of and against contractors and property owners
Personal Injury - General Tort Litigation
- Prosecution (and sometimes defense) of personal injury and tort claims including:
- Auto accidents
- Slip-and-falls / trip-and-falls
- Product liability
- Medical malpractice
- Assault and Battery
- False Imprisonment
- Malicious Prosecution
- Civil Rights violations
- Other tort-based claims